December 13, 2010 by deadorcs
So it seems that lately I’ve been on a Battlestar Galactica kick. I wasn’t very interested in the series after viewing the pilot, and not long thereafter, I gave up my subscription to the “good” cable. As a result, I’ve come late to the party on this series. I’m really enjoying it so far, and I’ve been lucky that I’ve not been given many spoilers as to how the series ends, or how major plot elements are supposed to unfold. I’m well into Season 4, and while the series has gotten a bit “out there” (if you will), I’m still enjoying it.
Let me stop right there. You might be asking yourself, “What the hell does this have to do with Dungeons & Dragons? You know, the subject of this blog?”
Well, I’ll tell you. As I continue to watch the series, it occurs to me that the idea of a whole civilization of people fleeing for their survival across the vastness of space, and facing a terrible and driven enemy was a FANTASTIC idea for a campaign setting. However, for awhile, I couldn’t figure out how to translate such an epic story into a fantasy campaign of the same scope. My biggest problem was the vastness of space covered in Battlestar Galactica. The other day, I finally figured it out. What you’ll find below, is a rough outline for a FANTASY themed campaign setting based on the themes and devices found in Battlestar Galactica.
Note: For typing ease, I’ve replaced “Battlestar Galactica” with “BSG” and “My Campaign” with “MC”. Here goes:
01) In BSG, the survivors of the Cylon attack flee across space in a collection of civilian & military spacecraft. In MC, the survivors of a Githyanki attack, flee across the Astral Sea in a collection of fortified & unfortified islands and fortresses.
02) In BSG, the main bad guys are the Cylons (who look like humans) and their machine servitors. In MC, the main bad guys are Githyanki (who can disguise themselves as other races in this setting) and their construct servitors.
03) In BSG, the survivors (humans) are searching for a mystical planet called Earth. In MC, the survivors (a number of races) are searching for a mystical Prime Plane called “Earth” (or substitute alternate world of your choice). For me, there’s something intriguing about a group of fantasy inspired races searching for a “real” Earth, the source of their original creation.
04) In BSG the main protector of the fleet is a large space battle ship/carrier called, “Battlestar Galactica” (hence the show’s name). In MC, the main protector of the fleet is a large floating keep called…well, I haven’t decided what to call it, yet.
05) In BSG, the fleet “jumps” to different parts of the galaxy using an FTL (Faster Than Light) drive. In MC, the fleet “jumps” to different parts of the Astral Sea by using a special “Create Portal” ritual.
06) In BSG, only Humans are mentioned (although they come in several different races based on their planet of origin). In MC, many races exist (members of a very large empire).
That’s the biggest chunk of what I’ve worked out so far. There are a number of things I haven’t worked out. It’s not a requirement that the campaign setting exactly duplicate everything from the Battlestar Galactica television series. For example, I left out the whole “Humans created the Cylons and now they’re rebelling”. There may be some connection developed for that, but for now I’m leaving it.
Well, that’s about all I have. What do you guys think? Are there enough BSG fans out there, that this could be developed into a campaign setting? I’d love to your thoughts.
Until next time…
Game excellently with one another.